Pages

Monday 4 November 2019

October's arty challenge

Throughout last month I'd had an intention to try to pull an hour's worth of art, or something vaguely arty (maybe needlework or collage), each day

It didn't really work but has set the seeds for a longer term goal.

The first thing I realised was that I needed space and something a little undefinable - quietness, privacy, or solitude - so I had to work round my husband's trips to the allotment, though there aren't any when it rains.

Next I wasted a lot of time in getting sorted. It's such a long while since I've done any drawing or needlework that I couldn't find the things I needed. I was getting ready to put the whole idea on hold.



Then over on Twitter I saw @behindthewoman1 suggesting as #SundayMotivation that for one week we picked an area of health/lifestyle to improve, and I jokingly replied that my day had been spent setting up the ingredients for rose hip gin. She instantly declared that to be a soul nurturing creative activity, and set me thinking ...

Soul nurturing creativity exactly describes what I was looking for with my arty-hour, but it didn't need to be confined to actual 'art', so I widened my criteria.








I decided that walks and days out visiting gardens provide inspiration - either on a practical 'want to try that in my garden' way or as potential source of artistic inspiration.




Knitting and jigsaw puzzles are both relaxing and constructive, so I'd include those. Oh, and yes, making fancy gin counts.








Some days were planning, hunting through pattern books, looking at old embroidered textiles; some were just spent scrolling through Pinterest or watching tutorials on You tube; sometimes the sun shone and I went gardening instead.







I think it sort of served the purpose - a bit of time every other day away from housework, doing something pleasurable and creative, or at least planning it. I'll definitely be carrying on, hopefully with some interesting results besides the gin :)


No comments:

Post a Comment