Pages

Saturday 27 July 2024

Holiday time again - Norfolk



It took me a while to discover Norfolk (I think I was over 40) but once I did I fell in love with it. Long expanses of salt marsh, beaches stretching as far as the eye can see, and the immense (hopefully blue) sky above. So, looking for a short break, with a promise of good weather, we headed east.










I had definite ideas about where I wanted to go, and places I wanted to visit. Top of my list was King Charles' Norfolk home, Sandringham. It's now part of the RHS Partner gardens scheme, which means that as a member entrance is free for me. While I was visiting, I thought I might as well drop in next door on one side, to Houghton Hall's award winning walled garden, also part of the RHS Partner gardens scheme, and, on the other, to the ruins at Castle Rising








Of course, any trip to Norfolk involves a stop-over at Belton House to break the journey, a visit to the beach (Old Hunstanton), and the salt-marches, and a fish and chip supper.





Through AirBnB we found a lovely traditional cottage at Dersingham, hardly a few miles from any of these places, and spent the one really wet morning of our stay exploring the flower-filled country lanes just outside the village.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment