Pages

Thursday 21 November 2019

Disconnecting - or not

It's supposed to be a good thing to put your phone down, right?

Disconnecting, switching off your phone with its constant barrage of e-mails and social media notifications is supposed to be calming and relaxing. Switch it off, leave any problems behind, and just enjoy the moment.That's what everybody says.
Well, after a weekend away with no wifi and little phone coverage, I have to disagree.

We went away to Appleby-in-Westmorland a couple of weeks ago, and, although I knew when I booked the cottage that there was no wifi included, I'd automatically assumed I'd have phone signal and therefore connection to the web and general outside world. Discovering there wasn't nearly had me panicking!

I'd been prepared to go without social media for a couple of days - unbelievably I can actually survive without it, although it's very strange to do so - but I like to stay in touch with my family. I won't leave my phone downstairs at bedtime; it comes with me in case anyone wants to contact me at night. It's a habit I got into when my parents were old and frail, and could have needed help at any time of day, but I still like my phone to be at hand in case either of my daughters want to contact me, even if only for a chat. Normally, the last thing I do at night, the first thing I do in the morning is check my phone for any messages from them. Generally there's nothing, but, without the possibility of checking, I couldn't get away from the dreadful feeling that I'd be wanted.

My unsettledness carried on into daytime as well. Leaving the cottage in the morning, the first thing I wanted to do was check my phone. Last thing at night before we returned, I was the same - actually wanting to stay out longer and later 'just in case'. It's not the way to spend a relaxing break. I found it all too stressful.
So in future, don't expect me to be disconnecting from the world. I'll actually be more particular about wifi availability; that way I'll get more peace and quiet.



No comments:

Post a Comment