You can read more about my plans and reasoning in this blog post
And I'll add my adventures below as the year progresses
1) Making spaghetti carbonara - easier than I expected, and looks like becoming a firm favourite.Why didn't I try to cook it sooner??
2) New gig venue - Sitwell Tavern, Derby, new festival - DPP Festival and new bands - Hitfaced, The Covasettes, - I started out claiming these as four separate 'new things' but I've decided to agree with my daughter that they should be just one
3) Nottingham Rooftops
4) Dominos Pizza - It's hard to believe it but I've never had home delivery pizza before! We had cookies as well :)
5) Tapas including the promised (threatened?) squid - love the tapas concept, didn't like the squid (though it was beautifully presented)!
6) Rescue Rooms acoustic session, watching Joe McCorriston - ok, I've been in the Rescue Rooms bar before but only after gigs in the other room, never on the acoustic Monday evenings to listen to music.
7) Chicken in Plum Sauce - I normally stick to tried and trusted (and very delicious) Szechuan chicken when ordering Chinese takeaway, so here I am stepping outside my comfort zone
8) lunch at a Harvester - again, I've led a sheltered life, and never encountered their HUGE sundaes before
9) Trip to Holme Pierrepont Hall to see snowdrops
with the disruption caused by snow and my parents' health problems March didn't really happen, but I did get my first Mother's Day card from my grandson
10) Going to gigs without a daughter-shaped safety net. A surprise as I didn't expect to be so taken aback going to a gig without her along
11) New artists = Ben Marwood, She Makes War, and Helen Chambers
12) Brinsley Headstocks Country Park - Going back to a place I knew well in childhood but which has been transformed from a derelict colliery site to pleasant country park since I last visited possibly 40 years ago(!)
13) Lodge Hill Bluebells, Yoxall - the name says it all; a new fantastic spot for bluebells
14) Scribble Victory single launch. New venue - Dubrek Studios in Derby, with two 'old' musicians - George Gadd and Scribble Victory - and two new ones - Eddie and the Wolves (solo act) and Grawl!x
15) Felly Mill to Moorgreen walk
16) AirBnB - a real stay-in-someone-else's house style AirBnB (not a private flat as booked by my daughter in Edinburgh last autumn). Also this was picked and booked by me without any outside help!
|Old and new in Manchester|
17, 18) Dunham Massey and Quarry Bank Mill - National trust properties outside Manchester
19) Visiting Manchester - actually seeing some of the city
20, 21) Eating out at The Wharf, Manchester - new place (found accidentally by me when playing with Google maps!), new food (smoked trout with salade nicoise)
22) Urban exploring in Nottingham - tunnels and the Arboretum
23) Pizza at Rudy's Neapolitan Pizzeria, Manchester
24) Swan Lake nature reserve, evening walk - another of those 'on my doorstep but never visited' places
25) Making custard in the microwave - not a success!
26) Woodside Festival - new bands, new food (Canadian poutine), new gin (Pinkster)
27) Erewash canal
28) new festival - Timber (including no29 - trying to relax in a hammock; not as easy as it looks!) new bands,