Pages

Tuesday 19 March 2024

Sizergh - gardens and a short walk


At last I found the host of golden daffodils that I'd been looking for. 
Well, maybe not quite a host as many weren't quite in flower but enough to imagine this bank covered in bright yellow in a week or so's time.



Te rest of the gardens were pretty quiet with areas roped off while grass recovered from the dreadful wet weather, but here and there were bursts of colour, and the rock garden with its small waterfalls and pools must be lovely at any time of year.



Just outside the formal garden is a small wood with more banks of daffodils by a larger pond, and even some snowdrops.


I've stopped off at Sizergh before but on that occasion didn't have time to explore the paths through the wider estate. This time, despite growing complaints from my legs, I was persuaded to attempt the shortest walk, probably not much more than a mile (if that).

The path led somewhat uphill, not strenuously, through a band of woodland, past mossy walls and pastures where ewes and young lambs were being put out to graze, then gradually back downhill to join a lane which led back to the visitor centre.





 With the sun continuing to break through the clouds, it was a lovely afternoon. Next time, although I always say this, I'll be fit enough to tackle a longer route.

No comments:

Post a Comment