Pages

Sunday 31 March 2024

Spring flowers and blossom at Dunham Massey


I'd heard of Dunham Massey's winter garden and planning a trip to Manchester I wanted to include it. Maybe I was a little late for winter as such but as an 'early Spring' garden it was wonderful.

There are lots of photos here but really there's little to say beyond 'wow'.




The garden lies to the side of the house and entering through its gates the visitor is met with the smell of hyacinths and a carpet of daffodils spreading in front under trees just coming into flower.

I'm not sure my photos have captured how truly magical it was but hopefully they can give an idea.



It seemed that every way I turned yet another path wandered through an amazing carpet of flowers - mainly daffodils but other spring bulbs too such as fritillaries and snowflakes. 




To the sides of the paths were camellias in every shade of white through pink to deep red







There was scent too - this I think is an early viburnum, and below is a white flowering currant.




I certainly needed the label to tell me what this - stachyurus praecox which looks far more amazing than here, with its catkins moving in the breeze.



Walking under cherry blossoms and magnolias made everything seem enchanting.







Passing over the stream to the more formal side of the garden I expected there to be less of interest, but there were tulips, magnolias, fritillaries, and more daffodils.






As I said this was my first early Spring visit I'm determined now to come back each year.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment