Pages

Monday 1 February 2021

Jottings - January 31st - the longest month ever

I think almost everyone agrees that this January has been the longest on record. It seems to have stretched interminably. 








This last week, on the other hand, seems to have flown by. It started with snow, and ended with snowdrops. 

Like last week, it's been busy, though for different reasons. I had two trips out to different supermarkets to pick up online orders!! I can't remember the last time I did this, but there's always something that one supermarket stocks that's special, isn't there? This time it was a specific chilli powder, and particular flavour of Pot Noodle. 





My sourdough, now named Dodo, is still demanding a lot of attention, but even if the bread I make isn't edible getting my hands sticky and floury has been worthwhile for the range of things I've made from the unwanted mix discarded each day. Dumplings are a definite favourite, and pancakes made this way taste almost like those made with eggs and milk. 







What I'm most pleased with though is making reasonable naan-style flatbreads. I tried this before, after watching a demonstration at the Good Life Experience At Home in autumn, and they didn't work well, managing to be both burned and undercooked at the same time! This time I got them right; maybe not perfect, but not bad.  Oh, and I served them with a new vegan dish discovered on the BBC Good Food site - a squash and cabbage sabzi - which exactly fitted what I was looking for with Veganuary; using up the allotment produce.





And a lot of my time has been spent playing Lego Lord of The Rings on the Wii. If you've played it yourself (LOL) you'll know from the photo that I've finished the first play-through of the game, and now reached the fun bit where extra quests and mini games have opened up. It may seem an odd thing to spend so much time on but while I'm playing all that matters is escaping from orcs and fighting my way to the end of the level; there's no coronavirus in Middle Earth! 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment