Pages

Wednesday 27 January 2021

Snow days




On Sunday morning I was watching the sky impatiently as almost everyone else on social media appeared to have had snow overnight. Even in London! 

Then, in the early afternoon, flakes began to fall. Gently, hesitantly, at first, but within an hour there was about 6 inches of snow covering the lawn.


And it didn't stop there but continued to fall for the rest of the day. I went outside briefly to clear branches but decided it was too chilly and wet for a longer walk.


Monday dawned clear and bright. The garden trees still had snow decorating their branches, and paths and lawn had disappeared under a smooth blanket broken only by the footprints of cats and birds.


















The easiest way to clear the path was, not to get out a shovel and dig, but to roll a ball, and make a snowman. The snow was loose and light though, and he didn't turn out as big as I expected.
Just before lunch I decided it was time to get out and see more snow, up on the nearby playing fields. A lot of people had decided the same thing though, and it wasn't the pristine blanket of the back lawn.



My garden must be more sheltered than I realised as there was little snow left holding onto the trees which surround the field, only on the wider heavier branches.

By Tuesday, it was starting to melt away, helped by persistent drizzle, and by Wednesday the only sign of snow left was my deformed snowman.

More is forecast though! After some warmer days, temperatures will be dropping again at weekend, and Sunday is predicted to have more snow. Usually my delight in snow is tempered with the knowledge that there'll places places I was planning to go, people I said I'd meet, but right now there's nowhere I can go, so I'm happy to be housebound for a day or so.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment