Pages

Thursday 25 June 2020

Lockdown Week 13 - June 16th to 22nd

Thirteen weeks, three months, a quarter of the year, however you measure this weird dreamlike state of lockdown it seems unreal - both everlasting but only a few days long.
Obviously things have changed over the weeks. There's no longer the mad panic-buying that marked the first week or so, no real shortages other than the normal supply chain glitches (though my eldest daughter couldn't find icing sugar anywhere in the run-up to Fathers' Day). Click and collect has now become our normal way of shopping, and, although it's sometimes frustrating with weird last minute replacements, I'd rather continue this way than risk actually going into a supermarket.
I've spent many many weeks doing very little, particularly during the glorious weather of April and May. Despite gardening and baking and not going out, there's been an odd relaxing holiday feel to things.



This week though I have started moving back towards normal. We had a visit from our elder daughter (but no grandson for now as he's at nursery and mingling with more people than any of the rest of us!), took more walks around home and a trip out to Kedleston. We even marked Fathers' Day by a pizza delivery. Things are getting very close to 'normal'.









It's been a busy week at the theatre. We watched The Madness of George III again while it was available through National Theatre at home, and then this week's presentation, the stage adaptation of Andrea Levy's Small Island. I read the book a while ago, and was impressed with Levy's ability to mix social commentary with a readable and engrossing story. It's one which seems particularly relevant in these times of Black Lives Matter, and this production did a remarkable job of bringing such an epic, overwhelming book to the stage.





In the garden summer continues with sunshine, thunder storms, flowers and fruit. The soft fruit is doing particularly well by this mix of weather, and I'm now trying to pick it all before the birds discover it.















This week's government update talked of restrictions being loosened even more, of pubs being opened soon, of it being possible to take holidays. It does seem that they're saying lockdown is over. which worries me more than it fills me with joy. My route back to normality will be a lot more cautious, and I'll be avoiding crowds, whether in pubs and shops or on beaches.
I do want to get out more though. I've put weight on, and lost muscle tone, over these months, and I need to get back to the fitness level I had before. Kedleston was nice and empty, the ticketing system and social distancing measures made it feel welcoming but safe, and it encourages me to make more use of my National Trust membership before these measures are relaxed; there are gardens to amble round and larger surrounding parks for more energetic walks, and maybe soon some open tea rooms. I'll almost be back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment