Pages

Wednesday 24 June 2020

Kedleston - wildflowers and the 'short walk'

On Monday, I headed out for a visit to our nearest National Trust property - Kedleston Hall. Not remarkable in itself, until you remember National Trust properties have been closed since the start of lockdown. Kedleston actually opened last week, but I waited a while in case there was a rush of visitors.

The Hall itself isn't open yet but the park and pleasure grounds are, with suitable social distancing being signed and observed throughout. It was quieter than I'd expected - a couple of families playing football/cricket, but visitors were mainly my age and older.




We started by visiting the gardens where the lion is again presiding over flower beds filled with a colourful array of wildflowers.















The flowers are completely different to last year's display, but whether that's because of the timing of my visit (last summer I saw the wildflower beds in August), or the sowing of a different seed mix I don't know. Whichever, they're certainly stunning.
































Then we headed for the Short Walk - a path which leads halfway round the perimeter of the Pleasure Grounds before heading back to the house through fields.





It starts out with wrought iron gates, and a comparatively formal feel, but before long it takes on the feel of a country walk, with trees above and far-reaching views out over Derbyshire.














It isn't long - about a mile and a half - but it's the longest walk I've undertaken in three months! Getting back to my normal fitness levels might take a while, but I intend to get out more now, while such gardens are open to only a limited number of visitors.



No comments:

Post a Comment