Pages

Sunday 10 June 2018

Manchester again!


Manchester is obviously going to be playing a large part in our lives now youngest daughter is living there, and we're just back from another day-trip 'up north'. I'm starting to get a feel for at least the Spinningfields 'business area' of the city, with it's modern glass high rise buildings and riverside bars and restaurants. There's nothing quite like this in either Derby or Nottingham (sorry guys), and I never thought I'd say this, but this really modern area is beginning to grow on me. I love the way one building reflects in its neighbour, and the river runs leisurely through all the hustle and bustle.


Almost everywhere, there are new buildings going up. It's mostly obvious what their purpose will be but this one is still a puzzle. It's being growing steadily over the few months we've been visiting, and my best guess is that it's a set of lift shafts - but where are all the flats or offices those lifts will serve?
















Daughter had found us somewhere interesting for a late lunch - Rudy's Neapolitan Pizzeria. The pizza's are almost as good as those she ate in Naples, she says, and certainly nicer than any I've tasted. You can see the dough being pounded at the work station on the right of the photo, and watch your pizza going in, and coming out of, the oven on a long-handled paddle. I felt tempted to go and watch from closer, but thought I'd better not!












I'm still trying to work out a way for our trips to be more dog-friendly. This time we left Dylan at home, but it's a long journey and he was alone for rather longer than I like to leave him. The alternative is to take him, but then we can't spend time at our daughter's flat, and we have to find dog-friendly places to eat out - so if anyone knows Manchester well, and has any suggestions, please shout out.

No comments:

Post a Comment