Pages

Friday 29 June 2018

Planning for Timber Festival

There's only a week to go till Timber Festival, so I was very excited to receive my programme through the post this week.


Admittedly it's possible to go along to a festival without any planning, just heading for whatever catches your attention on the day, but, particularly this time as I won't be going along for all three days, I like to know what's on. and when, so I can organise my time a little, and not miss something or someone that I really wanted to see. So, it's time for the highlighter pen ...




I've posted a general sort of round up for the festival before, but now it's time for the nitty gritty  - checking which things clash, which things are repeated over the weekend - and I'm finding my emphasis has changed a little.




Top of my list is Seek, Find, Speak; a conjuring told in gold a spoken word adaptation of  the Robert Macfarlane/Jackie Morris book, The Lost Words. The sound trail will be open each day with several theatrical performances taking place over the weekend.

Another all-weekend installation I really want to see is the Museum of the Moon. I was out in the garden last night trying to see the Moon through binoculars, but this will no doubt be an easier way to see its details - and I'll be able to see the 'dark side'.

Working my way through the musical line up, there are a lot of new-to-me artists so I've spent time on Youtube listening to snippets of their music trying to get a feel for who I most want to watch (see, I really DO plan ahead). So far my list includes (in no particular order), Ewan McLennan, You Are Wolf, Emma Gatrill, Alice Jemima, Siv Jakobsen, Hope and Social, Westerman, and Jane Weaver. I'd almost be tempted to just find a good spot by the stage and stay there for the whole festival but I think that would be missing out on such a lot of other things.

I want to watch aerial acrobatics, and horses pulling logs, have a go at stone-balancing, or whittling wood, help create a maze and join in a foraging walk; maybe learn to Think like a Tree, (though I'll skip the tree climbing) or brush up on outdoor survival skills. I'm tempted by a Bollywood dance workshop or a Laughing Yoga session (there are other more 'normal yoga activities, but I don't think I'm bendy enough for those)





This festival isn't just about being entertained though. I want to come away feeling I've been informed, learned something about forest life, or the possible future for woods and forests in a world where every square foot of ground has to 'pay' for its keep, so there are various talks and discussions I'd like to catch - From Field to Fork (about the journey our food makes to the table), Adam Weymouth talking about his four month journey down the Yukon River, John Everitt of the National Forest Company discussing the ongoing regeneration and transformation from post-industrial landscape to forest in Trees Transform, Lizzie Daly on the importance of maintaining natural spaces for wildlife, Living with Trees, Creative Solutions for a Greener Future, and more - the choice of green, tree-themed topics seems endless and all fascinating.



Fortunately, the programme, besides the details of all events, contains a handy day by day planner of what's on when, so I can get to work with my highlighter, plan each day meticulously - and then probably get sidetracked by the first thing I see through the entry gate.


See how it went here

No comments:

Post a Comment