Pages

Friday 5 May 2023

Belton - part 1


Heading off for a couple of nights in Cambridgeshire took us past Grantham and therefore Belton House, so obviously we had to stop. 

I'm never the sort of person who's up and ready to leave the house early in the morning, so, despite it being only an hour from home, it was lunchtime by the time we arrived, and therefore time to stop for a 'little something', specifically potato wedges with cheese and bacon bits (so simple but so good. I must try making them at home). 

The gardens were surprisingly empty for such a glorious day (the first really of this year) and for a while I just sat and soaked up the sun, and listened to the fountain burbling away. 


For quite a while it's been undergoing repair, so it's good to see it back 


These formal gardens aren't really my personal style (I prefer wild rampant low-maintenance flower borders) but on a sunny day there's definitely a peaceful quality to them. 





This was one of those lucky days when the Orangery was open, so we went to see the fish swimming lazily round their pond, and the flowers that flourish in this warmer habitat - from well-known amaryllises to the exotic bird-of-paradise. 










I hadn't intended walking much further - my fitness isn't what it was before Covid - but a sign pointing in the direction of daffodils enticed me on. 


The earlier flowers were going back but later ones taking over , filling the gaps, and still looking lovely.





I was starting to feel tired out though, so, knowing we'd be passing back in a few days, I decided this was the time to turn round, and head back past the Moondial towards the Italian garden.






This area by the hall is again one of formal flower beds, filled at the moment with tulips underplanted with pansies. 
Again, a little bit 'regimented' for my tastes but the colours were amazing.



Time though to leave for now ... 







 

No comments:

Post a Comment