Pages

Friday 27 August 2021

Walking through the heather on White Edge

After a lazy afternoon at Chatsworth, it was time to head off for something a little more energetic - but first a picnic. 













My intention had just been to vaguely head 'somewhere to see the heather' but thinking of good places to sit (yet again) and eat our sandwiches I thought the off-road pull-in just below Curbar Gap couldn't be bettered. I stumbled on this spot last time we came up to Derbyshire's moors, and it's an ideal place to take in the view if you don't want to move from the car. 

So, first a brief picnic on a bench in the lay-by, then back to the 'proper' car park at the top of the hill. 





I'd heard that an improved path makes it quite an easy walk from Curbar Gap to the trig point on White Edge. So that's where I decided to head. 


I had thought (even having looked at a map) that the path was fairly flat - much like walking along Baslow Edge - so I was surprised to go first downhill then back up - although the latter was via a set of nicely-laid steps, and there was a cute little bridge to look at before the uphill slog.








This stopping and nosing around habit of mine pays off. By the side of the steps I spotted small clumps of harebells were growing (though shaking too much in the wind to photographed well)  and gorse was trying to take root between the actual steps.







I'd already noticed heather growing on the moor over towards Baslow Edge, and as we got higher more and more appeared by the side of the path, and down the middle of it.








We'd already been overtaken by more enthusiastic, energetic walkers but I'd stopped again - this time to see if my eyes were deceiving me or if there really was a herd of deer not far away. There was!

For a short walk, this one involved a LOT of stopping. Partly to catch my breath and cool down (because although late in the day it was warm out of the wind) or make just I didn't damage my knees, but mainly to just stop and look at all the glorious heather.

Here I am, at last though, looking rather windswept by the trig point, obviously the highest point of this ridge and catching all the wind.
I've only recently discovered these moors, despite how close they are to home, and was a little surprised at how busy the car park was and the number of people we saw out and about - joggers, mountain bikers, walkers.






There are wonderful views from up there, but looking towards the west there were clouds and the threat of rain, so it seemed best to head back to the car just in case. 







 


No comments:

Post a Comment