Pages

Friday 7 October 2016

A New Routine

This time last year, I was one of those parents in shock after their offspring's departure for university - wondering how my world would change, reflecting on how much I'd miss my Teen.

This autumn I'm feeling relieved as I'm not one of these bereft parents - my Teen has decided to take a year out, get a job locally and earn some serious cash, before returning to uni next autumn.

So we have a new set-up here. It's like going back to the rhythm of college days. Alarm clocks at the ready. Get up early to organise breakfast and a packed lunch. Teen out of the house from 8.30 to 6. In fact, it's so much like being back to her college days, that I woke up last weekend wondering if she had homework to do!

What I have found though, is that somehow I don't actually seem to have any more hours in the day - they've just moved earlier. No more sitting up till 2 o'clock watching box-sets or chatting on twitter; now I'm falling asleep on the sofa before midnight!

It's great having her back, hearing guitar sounds coming from her room, watching Netflix together, going out at weekends as a family, but, if I'm being honest, I'm dreading this time NEXT year, when she'll be going away again. Time to worry about that later though ...

13 comments:

  1. Lucky you having her home. Mine returned after a week last year and has gone to Uni properly (fingers crossed) this year. We're going to see her soon and I am looking forward to that. I feel for you next year though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a year ahead of me then! I hope your daughter settles in this time. It's so tricky for them to decide what they'll be doing for three years (if not the rest of their life) isn't it?

      Delete
  2. Yes, make the most of it! she might decide she prefers earning money to uni, anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really interesting to read this. I think it will happen more and more because house prices and rents are so high. I am a bit concerned about having to re-adjust again if all 3 of them leave and then they all come back!! My eldest is in halls in Uni but my other 2 are still at home as they are only 15 and 11 so i have a few years. Sharon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm expecting this will just be for a year, then she'll be off back to uni ... but... instead of the more usual 'fun' gap year job, the Teen has a proper, serious one in marketing. She might just decide to stay in it and not return to uni. That's something to find out next summer ...

      Delete
  4. My eldest teen has just started A levels so we're now researching universities. I can't believe he's this old already! I'm finding it very exciting; the thought of launching himself into the world and the adventure that lies before him. He's finding it terrifying...but I'm holding his hand every step of the way #TweensTeensBeyond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time definitely speeds up after GCSEs! Those last years at home fly by. I'm really glad to have my teen back for a while but obviously she won't stay forever - either she'll be back off to uni or moving to a job elsewhere. Eeps!

      Delete
  5. Well I hope you enjoy every single minute of this year Maryom and do some great mum and daughter stuff with your lovely girly. Thanks for coming back to #TweensTeensBeyond Nicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by. We're certainly having a fun year of boxsets - Parks and Rec, and now Love. It's great having someone around who,unlike OH, doesn't want to just watch Star Trek re-runs every night :)

      Delete
  6. My eldest teen is heading off to University in October and whilst I said no to the "gap year" I would be happy to have him home for one more year if things don't go according to plan. Thanks for joining us. #TweensTeensBeyond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by. Oh that idea they have of "gap year" always sounds so much like "idle around somewhere in the sun",doesn't it? My Teen's version is more like a year-long work placement, and I think it's giving her a better idea of what she really wants to do with her life and career,plus a practical insight of the joys of working 9-5. It's also given me more time to adjust to seeing her as a adult. It's definitely an option I'd recommend to anyone at all doubtful about their career choice.

      Delete
  7. Popping back to comment again Mary for #TweensTeensBeyond. I love reading posts from parents who have already been through what I'm going through right now. Thank you so much for linking up. We welcome posts on any aspect of midlife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back, Sharon. Hope your path through this stage is going smoothly. I definitely now see my daughter as an adult, capable of making her own decisions on career, finances etc, rather than a grown-up child, depending on parents.I think that aspect of this 'gap yea' is something I may post about, so watch this space :)

      Delete