Pages

Monday 9 August 2021

Pick-me-ups required

 Last weekend the house was full, if not overflowing, with family here for a celebration. Such times, particularly at the moment, always lead to an anticlimax. The days afterwards always seem as flat and hollow as this disaster of a birthday cake, while I struggle to get back into my everyday routine.

It's a bit like empty-nesting all over again, feeling in need of a pick-me-up, and trying to work out how to spend my time.

The weather hasn't helped. There's been unpredictable rain most days - the forecast's seem to be really inaccurate this summer. predicting dry days which turn out wet, and wet ones which inexplicably turn out dry   - making it impossible to plan days out. So it's been an 'at home' week. 

This is when I appreciate having a garden - I'll wander outside and, even if I'd not intended gardening, something  that should be done will catch my eye. There are always weeds to uproot, a plant fallen over the path that ought to be cut, or a few blueberries that need to be picked. 


 Or perhaps, rain permitting, I'll just sit and watch butterflies among the buddleia and goldenrod, or the antics of the poor unmaternal pigeon carrying out nest repairs while the chicks coo inside it.





The constant stream of vegetables brought home from the allotment by my husband  also keeps me busy. The freezer is already full with cauliflowers and broad beans, but the courgette glut continues, with the search for new exciting ways to eat them (piccalilli is my latest idea), and now runner beans are starting to crop.




On quiet days, while my husband's occupied at the allotment, I've turned my thoughts to an on-and-off art project that I'm trying to make more time for. A couple of years ago at Melbourne Festival I discovered artist Helen Hallows, and I've joined a sort-of online art club she runs. I'm frequently talking about doing something creative but never seem to keep up the initial impetus. Before the pandemic, I'd been thinking about taking part in one of her 'real life' courses, and i'm still toying with the idea of an on-line course, though I worry about my intermittent application. Meanwhile, Helen's prompts and sharing of images help give me focus and direction, and encourage me to do something, even if only doodling, every day. 


I've also started planning ahead in vague ways. Firstly, once the August rush is over to go to the seaside, and a grander sort of plan of what I might do (coronavirus etc permitting) to markthe run up to my 65th birthday. For my 60th I tried to do sixty new things and I'm looking at a similar idea - new places to go, new things to see, and if I do it in the run-up to my birthday I'll be starting next Spring! Time to put some ideas together.


For a final pick me up for the week, I thought a little treat from the online sales was in order - now I just need some sunshine to be able to wear my new purchases.



No comments:

Post a Comment