Pages

Friday 2 July 2021

Missing Out - on festivals








 Today is the first day of Timber Festival and I'm a bit downhearted that I didn't feel confident enough to go in some capacity - either volunteer or general public.

I've been twice before as a 'pioneer' - in 2018 and 2019 - blogging about the festival before and after, and tweeting during it - and absolutely loved the experience. Last year I'd intended volunteering (after all seems only fair that having had two free years I should give something back) but I hadn't got that far before Covid stepped in and cancelled everything. Last year though, everyone was missing out so there seemed a certain solidarity about not being able to go. Some of the events went online, and I had a private mini-festival at home.


This year, feels different. The festival is going ahead - and is even sold out - but I didn't dare think of going. I'm not young anymore (over 60) and, although I'm now double vaccinated, after over a year hardly going anywhere to go somewhere with people around feels risky and incredibly strange. I need more time to acclimatise to the 'new normal'.

I do wish I'd been brave enough to go though.


It's made me realise how quickly I've come to love festivals of this nature - not a young person's music festival, but one for all ages which seeks to educate and enlighten as well as entertain. Curious Arts Festival in 2016 my was first experience - a mix of bookish chat during the daytime, and comedy and music at night, held in the grounds of Pylewell Park in Hampshire. And after Timber, I'd discovered others. Also festival in Warwickshire which describes itself as an 'ideas' festival but which also has a range of experiences from yoga to wild swimming you can join in with, and The Good Life Experience in North Wales (another one which I joined online last year) are at the top of my festival 'bucket list', but although both are going ahead this year in one form or another, I've decided to sit things out for a while. 

I miss the excitement. I miss waking to the dawn chorus and sun shining through the tent. I miss festival food, and listening to, or trying, new things that I wouldn't bother with at home. I almost even miss rolling out of bed because the pitch wasn't quite as level as I thought, or overhearing late night conversations from the next-door tent. 

Hopefully next year will be easier for planning ahead because I have so much more I want to do before I get too old!



No comments:

Post a Comment