Pages

Sunday 25 July 2021

Going Out Even Less

 This week the world, or at least, England, has gone back to normal. Restrictions are so last year. Now we can go where we like, with whomever we like, and not bother with masks or social distancing.

To me it doesn't feel enticing. It's a gamble, and one that I hope pays off, but it's not one I'm willing to take. I feel that to stay safe from Covid right now my best plan is to stick to the routines I've lived by this last year - meeting family and friends outside if possible, going for afternoons out at uncrowded places, and generally living like a hermit.

I'm lucky to be able to make these choices for myself. I don't have to go to work, I don't have to use public transport to get out and about. Many people aren't as lucky.


This week I've gone out even less than normal - it's been too hot!




I've spent the week melting, opening windows to create a breeze through the house, sitting outside under trees to escape the sun, watching the garden grow and flowers pop open, and seeing baby blackbirds come and splash in the bird bath.










It'a not all laziness though. The mini heatwave was a good time to get blankets and chair covers washed and, more remarkably, dried out on the washing line. 


And good weather brings the inevitable rush of crops from the allotment - broad beans, peas, cauliflowers, french beans and so so many courgettes! I think we've eaten courgettes in one dish or another for six nights out of seven - roasted with beetroot, added to stir fries, omelettes, pasta sauces, curries. Some were preserved as bread and butter pickles (though they're normally made with cucumber), and more than I ever remember before have been frozen. At least when listening to news about the shortage of lorry drivers leading to food supply problems I can console myself with the thought of all the courgette-based meals we'll have over winter.








No comments:

Post a Comment