Pages

Friday 15 January 2021

Veganuary - half way through

 In the run-up to Christmas, when I'd already started to realise how depressing the after-festivities period was going to be, I saw people on social media talking about trying veganism for January. It's not a new thing. I've seen people talking about it for years, and you probably have too, but this time I thought 'I cook enough meals that are vegan without trying to be. I'll give it a go. If nothing else, it will be a change, and give me some focus for January. And maybe I'll use up some of last year's allotment produce from the freezer'.



From the outset I decided I'd allow myself two exemptions to meat/diary free. Firstly, the chorizo and eggs in the fridge with 'best-before' dates in January; it's counterproductive to throw away food I've already bought. Secondly, milk. Now I know this would be a huge step away from being truly vegan but I don't buy my milk from the supermarket (if I did I'd have easily swapped to oat milk, which I've tried before). Instead it's supplied by a Derbyshire dairy, and delivered by an independent milkman who has kept going throughout the pandemic. I don't want him to suddenly be losing my order for January, so I'll continue as is. 

Roughly a fortnight in, things are going well. We've eaten a lot of old favourites - chilli or curry made with pumpkin instead of meat - some new dishes discovered by via the web or my Jack Monroe Vegan(ish) cookbook, and a lot of home made soups. For giving a focus every day it's been great. I pretty soon spotted that most of the vegan meals I already cook were either highly spiced - and I didn't really want to eat chilli at lunch, then chilli for dinner - or involved baked beans and/or chickpeas in one disguise or another - again fine for one meal, not for all meals, every day. So there's more planning necessary than for 'normal' food, and more time actually spent cooking (because I haven't gone down the ready-prepared meals route). Sometimes though, it's easier to just settle for a childhood favourite, banana sandwiches, for lunch.










No comments:

Post a Comment