Pages

Monday 10 February 2020

Snowdrops - and daffodils! - at Kedleston




 Last week's day out trip was to Kedleston Hall, for an amble around the 'pleasure grounds' and along the good firm path of the 'Short walk' - and, as everywhere in late winter, to see snowdrops.



















Last summer this flower bed was filled with annual wild flowers but right now it's unsurprisingly empty apart from a sickle moon shaped area filled with bulbs - snowdrops now, and daffodil shoots preparing to follow.













Finding this early rhododendron wasn't quite a surprise as I'd seen photos of it on social media just after Christmas, but it's still a delight to see this early in the year. (I wonder if I could get one for my garden ...)












From the pleasure grounds we headed up the 'short walk'. One day I want to explore the wider park but we were warned that most areas were very muddy, and the solid path underfoot seemed like a better option for now.




The day was dry with brief glimpses of sunshine but the view out towards Derbyshire was rather hazy. Even so, there's a feeling of space and open countryside along this first section of the walk.

I'm not sure what this blossoming tree is - the flowers don't seem quite right for sloe/blackthorn, so I suspect it's a cherry plum.









These were the highlight of my day though - the first outdoor daffodils I've seen this year, and a sure sign that spring is somewhere not far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment