Pages

Saturday 1 February 2020

Gecko Theatre's Institute

I don't think it's good for any of us to stay within the close confines of our comfort zone, so when my younger daughter suggested I went to see Gecko Theatre's Institute at Nottingham Playhouse, |I decided to put all those 'but will I like it?' questions to one side, and go.

It proved to be something both engaging and puzzling. The piece centres on two men, Daniel and Martin, receiving treatment in what is probably a psychiatric facility - the first for the pressure of work and expectations related to it, the second for a failed love affair. With relatively few words, and story-line and emotions interpreted through dance, I have to admit I didn't always entirely understand what was going on. Sometimes the atmosphere is friendly and jolly, at others controlling and restrictive, though the set design (high-piled filing cabinets) and dim, smoky lighting push the mood towards the latter.

The important thing, from my perspective, is that I enjoyed it. A step outside the 'norm' is a good thing, and in future I'll not be so put off by the thought of 'dance' and 'physical theatre'.


No comments:

Post a Comment