Pages

Wednesday 26 February 2020

Not Going Far


 I follow a lot of social media accounts belonging to people who spend every weekend nipping up mountains, or enjoying a rather long walk along a long-distance footpath. They're all younger and more energetic than I am. My adventures are always on the small side by comparison, but really it isn't necessary to travel miles or slog through mud to enjoy the outdoors.











Last week I was babysitting my grandson, and we went out for a stroll to see the ducks at the local pond. It's hardly a ten minute walk but he fell asleep in his buggy almost immediately. I still got to discover this delightful little spot though.











It's 'hidden' just off the main access road into the Compton Acres estate in West Bridgford, and is almost surrounded by housing, but sitting on one of the convenient seats it feels like being out in the countryside.




 No swans here but there are ducks, coots, and canada geese swimming happily around, pigeons perching in the trees looking somehow more exotic than they ought to, and daffodils waiting to burst into flower on the banks.
It proves my theory that it isn't hard to incorporate a little 'outdoors' into everyday life. I feel that this kind of mini-escape is as important for us as a full day out in the countryside, and if I lived nearer I'd visit all the time.






And, to prove the accessibility of beauty where-ever you happen to be - here's the sunset on our way home that evening, seen from (the passenger seat of) the car, heading west on the A453 with Ratcliffe on Soar power station in the distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment