Pages

Thursday 5 December 2019

Chatsworth Christmas - 2019

It's nearly Christmas so it's time to start the round of festively decorated stately homes. Chatsworth is generally first on my list, and this was actually my second visit (I have an annual pass so can visit as many times as I like)

This year's theme follows Phileas Fogg and Amelia Earhart on a journey round the world, dropping in on Christmas celebrations from many countries.
A roaring fire welcomes visitors into the house, with an aeroplane and world globes suspended from the ceiling of the entrance hall.


From there, visitors move along corridors with arches of decorations. The rooms which follow are always wonderfully decorated but I love passing through this first section where things are on a more intimate scale (and I always wonder if I could do the same in my hallway - probably not!)




There are Christmas trees in every room (and sometimes two, three or more!). I always intend to count them, but never do.




Cherry blossoms ushered us in to the 'Japan' section, but this tree of fans seemed more wintery.









Lanterns and parasols led on to the staircase where a splendid Chinese dragon waited.

With a bit of luck, and a lot of planning, I'd like to pull in another visit before the house closes in early January as each time there seems something new to spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment