Pages

Friday 11 October 2019

Apple picking and letting go





The sale of my parents' house is edging closer, though sometimes it feels like only at a snail's pace. As  result, we're clearing out contents - of the the house, garage, sheds, and, last week, something from the garden.
I didn't expect to be able to go and pick apples there this year, but I'm delighted that I can.




I have several apple trees of my own but this one is a special tree for me - one of the first I grew from a pip -  and, despite everyone saying it would never fruit, it’s been in my parents’ garden for over 40 years, never been properly pruned yet still produces masses of fruit each year. There were a couple of other apple trees I grew at the same time, but one was removed when it grew too big (my parents could never grasp the idea of pruning) and the other was chewed through by my parents' dogs.



 The house will soon be sold, but the buyer seems like someone who'll appreciate a good, freely fruiting, apple tree, and maybe it will be there in another 40 years.
Meanwhile I'll save some pips from this year's apples and start again.









No comments:

Post a Comment