Pages

Saturday 14 September 2019

The Hill House, Helensburgh


Travelling home from Argyll we broke the journey a couple of times - the first stop being at The Hill House, designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh in 1900.













The interior is pretty much unchanged, with many of Mackintosh's iconic flower designs to be seen on furnishings and walls, but the exterior isn't faring well. The rain is now getting through the external render (harling) and it's now under a protective mesh cage, inside which a walkway takes visitors round, up and over the house.






It's a very strange experience. I'm not normally fond of heights but they didn't worry me here as I couldn't believe I was looking down on a full-sized house.










Weirdly I felt I was looking at a model, not real rooftops and chimneys!














 Another advantage of being so high is that the views out over the Clyde are wonderful. In fact, it's almost worth visiting just for them!





No comments:

Post a Comment