Pages

Monday 8 July 2024

Kedleston - a visit of two halves


Since my fall-down-the-stairs incident last year I don't walk as quickly as I once did so my explorations at Kedleston (my nearest National Trust property) have been limited. A gentle meander around the Pleasure Grounds or an extremely short walk up the Short Walk have been my limits. But I'm trying to stretch myself by going further, and this visit found me heading back to the lakes for the first time in a long while.
First, of course, was a visit to the Pleasure Grounds. The main flower beds are different this year - the wild flowers which I loved have been replaced by perennials which although flowering are taking a while to really get spreading over the bare ground.









Then, after a break for ice cream, it was time for a slightly more strenuous walk, across the parkland to the lower lakes. Although it wasn't a brilliantly sunny day it was lovely to sit by the water near the weir and relax. I could probably have walked down past the next lake to the plunge pool, which marks the limit of the parkland, but it wasn't long till closing time and I didn't want to have to rush the uphill return to the car park. I should make an effort to go earlier in the day, with time for changes of plan. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment