Pages

Friday 17 February 2023

More snowdrops - Hopton Hall

Another lovely sunny (though not necessarily warm) day tempted me out to Hopton Hall to see the snowdrop display.

The last time I visited was in 2020, one of my last outings before lockdown, and the Hall and associated grounds, holiday cottages etc are in the process of being sold, so this might be the last chance to visit (though I hope not).














The signposted walk leads firstly through a wooded area where snowdrops flow like a river around the trees.




The route then passes behind the hall, where snowdrops share space with brilliantly golden aconites, before heading into the rose garden.

In summer this is filled with scent and colour but the yew edging and topiary give it a formal attractiveness even in winter. It sits on a south facing slope so was a lovely warm spot to sit for a while.
I didn't walk round this section as the steps, particularly back downhill, looked a little too adventurous for my ankles at the moment.
From here the path wanders through shrubbery with snowdrops lining the way. Again I missed out the detour around the pond as this was already the furthest I'd walked since my accident, so we headed back towards the hall, where we found teas and cakes being served. 











An excellent way to finish any garden visit, and a most welcome rest.




We hadn't quite seen all the snowdrops though as the path back to the car park led past another wooded area with flowers brightening the ground.

A most enjoyable afternoon out, and I do hope that the new owners decide to open to the public for these few weeks in late winter.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment