Pages

Monday 17 January 2022

Slow January

January is a slow, nothing happening sort of month. After the rush of things to be done in the lead up to Christmas, and the bustle of visitors, there's an emptiness to the start of the year. There's no pressing hurry for anything to be done, in the garden or around the house, so for me, with no return to work or school vibes around, it drifts in laziness and apathy. 


The month got off to a particularly slow start with a lingering cold (tested several times just to be sure it wasn't anything more, because that's what we do these days), but I'm now trying to embrace this quiet time; to approach it with mindfulness not waste it in idleness.



I'm taking inspiration from various sources. Firstly a subscription which I won to Mud and Bloom children's natural activity boxes. Admittedly this is really for my grandson, but planting bulbs, making art and decorations with pine cone and twigs, and generally paying attention to the natural world are things we can do no matter what our age. 





So I pottered outside to see my Christmas roses flowering (a little late), set some sweet peas and pansies, and along with my groceries I bought a pot of mini-daffodils which are now brightening up my kitchen windowsill. And when I can find some alder cones, I'm going to make some bees like those featured in the 'January' box, probably for Easter decorations.



Second, is a publication with a very similar ethos, but aimed at adults - the Simple Things magazine. I've been considering a subscription for a while but with a New Year offer decided to treat myself. The actual magazines haven't begun to arrive yet but an anthology (or compendium/compilation/call it what you will) of previous articles has. It takes the reader on a journey through the year with seasonal things to do, cook, grow, plus a range of loosely related articles. 







Copying an idea from the winter section, I retrieved some sprigs of fir from the Christmas tree, an old hessian bathsalts bag, and made a pine (with lingering lavender) -scented drawer sachet. 





Following with the idea of slow, simple, but great tasting food, I've started a new sourdough - which has already led to homemade naan, focaccia, and cinnamon apple rolls, and hopefully sometime soon there'll actually be bread!








Taking part in Veganuary also helps me think about what I eat, instead of just filling myself with junk food. So, although some days I've gone for 'vegan alternatives like fish-less fingers, most evenings I make something from scratch - curries, chillies, stir fries - trying to use last summer's homegrown veg - so many runner beans and tomatoes in the freezer, and several pumpkins, including these huge moscade de Provence with amazing orange flesh. 






Although coughing and sneezing has kept me at home, I've tried to spent at least a few quiet minutes outside each day watching the sun set or spying the full Wolf moon hiding among the birch branches. 





I'm now starting to feel ready to take on the New Year, with plans hatching for busier warmer days ahead.









No comments:

Post a Comment