Pages

Sunday 30 January 2022

Not resolutions, but goals

As the end of January approaches, it's getting abit late for New Year resolutions. Anyway I've decided that instead of  'resolutions' which always seem a bit vague, I'm going to have 'goals'. Nice, comparatively easy goals, that are going to be attainable. Somehow it seems a more positive way of thinking about things. More 'I will do this'. Less 'I'd like to do this. Maybe. If I have the time'.

There won't be anything strenuous. The way forward is nice and easy - and fun. 



I want (need) to get not quite fitter but sort of more bendable. Not that long ago I was still able to touch my toes. I can't now. I can't crouch comfortably or get up from kneeling on the floor. I can't run up the stairs. My balance isn't what it once was (I nearly fell off this log last year, playing with my grandson) While there's still time to fix these things, I intend to. I've started improving my balance through yoga. Obviously nothing too hard, but my ability to maintain the tree pose has gone up from a very wobbly couple of seconds to about 30.  By summer I hope to be able to walk along that log confidently; assuming no one's watching.

I intend to keep a closer watch on my daily step count. It varies tremendously up and down, but ill with a cold after Christmas it dropped to 1500. Keep that up for too long and in summer I won't be able to go out walking. So, watch the steps!


It's not quite the end of the month but giving Veganuary a go for a second year has persuaded me that I should cut down on meat and (more importantly) cheese permanently. A quick cheese sandwich is always my easy fall-back for lunch so it takes a bit of planning, but too much cheese isn't good and I've proved I can manage without it. 


I've been house hunting for over a year and in the hope that I will eventually move I need to clear out clutter. It's not going to be simple as I don't believe in throwing anything vaguely useful away - from a saucepan with a loose handle to scraps of paper that might come in handy for crafting - but sometimes less is more. 

First - get knitting up the yarn stash. I found some odd balls of yarn that match a gloves and hat set I already have, and got busy. A nice and easy project to start the year, and it's nearly finished. Then I bought some more yarn to make a cardigan. I know, that's not really how decluttering works, but I'm hoping to use up lots of bits in a long cardigan, and needed a plain colour to bring them all together.

The material stash is in the same desperate, cupboard-filling state. Apart from using up large pieces of fabric for making clothes, I want to make that quilt I've talked about for years.

On Twitter #beatthebacklog is encouraging people to actually get round to reading all the books they've accumulated but not read. I still have a huge pile of sci fi/fantasy picked up from Freecycle years ago and not looked at., plus some competition wins which there never seems any urgency to read. So far, I've picked up one book, decided I didn't like it, and put it on the charity pile. One down, so many to go, but it's a start.

Resolutions can sound a bit like dull, hard work, but I believe they should also include the fun things in life, so I'm resolving to live more colourfully - from new gorgeous clothes (a risk but greatly reduced in the sales) and colourful tights to bringing garden flowers into the house I want to add a little fun to life. 



No comments:

Post a Comment