Pages

Monday 26 April 2021

Looking forward to - holidays

 I've been out and about a lot since restrictions lifted earlier this month, but so far I've only visited my usual close to home favourites  - Kedleston, Calke, Chatsworth and Shipley. 

Now I've taken the plunge and booked a holiday!

I'll only be away for a few nights but staying under a different roof  seems to make time stretch, and a couple of days away feels a lot longer than the same time spent at home. Due to family circumstances I'd been forced into staycationing long before covid was thought of. Last year, I waited too long, thinking July and August weren't good times to go on holiday, and then lockdown returned. This year I'm grabbing the opportunity to get out and see places while it's possible. 




When I started planning this break, I'd expected to head off to one of my regular seaside spots - Pembrokeshire or North Norfolk perhaps - but firstly I wanted to visit my daughter in Manchester on the way home, and then when I started considering Lancashire and Yorkshire I realised there are so many places I haven't been to. 



Although since my early twenties I've only holidayed in Britain (and never called it a staycation), from Devon to Aberdeen, Shropshire to Kent, there are such a lot of places that I've just passed through on the way elsewhere (respectively Cornwall, Sutherland, Wales, and France) only stopping briefly for lunch and a wander round a convenient National Trust property. Now I feel I want to explore all those rushed-past places. East Yorkshire fishing villages, quaint Devonshire thatched cottages, Aberdeenshire's castles, or just quiet country places that barely appear on the map but are filled with flowery lanes and birdsong.


So this time we're going to Malham, in Yorkshire, but I've also started to put together a sort of wish list of places to visit - it's probably far too long to cover in one year, and I do want to revisit my favourite places, but it's the beginning of a plan.


No comments:

Post a Comment