Pages

Friday 23 April 2021

Daffodils at Chatsworth


I sometimes wonder, when I go to a place regularly, as I do Chatsworth, if delightful as it is I'm not going to find anything new there, but on my visit yesterday I discovered the most amazing daffodils. I'm not sure if these are newly planted, or if I just haven't been at the right time of year before. 


I knew about the daffodils at the edge of the main lawns and under the trees alongside the Broad Walk
and I'd seen these on the bank by the Canal Pond before



 but then we wandered uphill and at every turn encountered more daffodils - yellows, whites, the bright centres of poeticus narcissi, tall plants, and tiny ones maybe only six inches high.  



Daffodils everywhere!

They aren't the only plants brightening the gardens right now - there are anemones, leucojums, irises, erythroniums, primroses, hellebores, and bluebells just starting to flower.

 












But the daffodils were definitely the stars - nestling under trees, tumbling down banks. I'll make a note in my diary to catch them every year.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment