Pages

Thursday 10 September 2020

A Damp Day Out at Chatsworth


This week has been glorious weather-wise - apart from Monday which was the day we'd booked tickets to visit Chatsworth again. It was actually raining as we arrived, and because of the timed entry slots to the garden we couldn't wait it out in the car, but I'd taken my cagoule and had a huge (bright pink) brolly in the car so a bit of damp wasn't going to stop me.
First we headed to the wildflowers in the former rose garden. With grass paths dividing the flower beds, there's a sort of maze-like feel to this area. At least here you can tell if anyone is walking towards you; the actual Maze is closed as there's no way to socially distance in it.



Fortunately the rain stopped quite soon so we had a pleasant afternoon ambling round, finding new paths through the linked flowery glades along the slope above the more formal gardens.





This new planting scheme is enchanting with drifts of natural-feeling flowers in a range of whites, pinks and purples. I'm spending a lot of time identifying things, and wondering if these plants would work on a much smaller scale in my garden.




There are even stepping stones across a pond.
I possibly should act my age, but I do love quirky features such as this and can't resist walking across.







 Zig-zagging back and forth brought us downhill to the canal pond, and the famous view of Chatsworth House appearing to float on the water, with the Emperor Fountain before it.



No comments:

Post a Comment