Pages

Saturday 4 April 2020

Dodging people to find wood anemones


During this first week or so of lockdown I haven't really been bothering to take my hour's worth of exercise - I figure than I'm busy enough in the garden to not need to specifically go out walking, and also there are people outside, even if they stay two metres away. I went out on a couple of evenings to catch the sunset, and then one day decided it would be nice to see anemones up in the wood.
















It's not a long walk, maybe half an hour so well under the recommended exercise limit. At first the route skirts playing fields, so there's plenty of space to avoid anyone else out walking.






The rough edges have been seeded with wildflowers, and at the moment there are primroses and cowslips in flower there.







 In the wood, hawthorns are coming into leaf, and the wild cherries are in flower.














I couldn't see frogspawn on the ponds, but these two ducks seem to have take up residence in one of the smaller ones. You need to look closely to see them - the drake is hiding behind the reeds on the right, and the duck is in the water behind the black 'planter' in the centre.


A little further on, the first bluebells were showing colour, but by this point I was getting worried about the number of people around - the path isn't very wide, and everyone seemed to be walking their dog there, and not worrying too much about keeping their distance.
Fortunately the anemones are off the main path, and I doubt many people know where to find them. There isn't much of a path to them at all these days, as the volunteer organisation in charge tries to keep everyone on the main path by 'fencing' it with brushwood and logs, and the smaller paths are dropping out of use (the beautiful display of bluebells won't be visible if these plans go ahead, which is a shame). 
 There are three or four clumps of wood anemones in different areas of the wood, but without paths it's too easy to end up in brambles, so I just headed for the easiest to find - a patch maybe a couple of metres square. Having found what I'd come looking for, I decided it was best to head home. I'd intended to walk the full circuit of the wood, but I'll leave that for another time, later in the evening, when fewer folks are out and about.




No comments:

Post a Comment