Pages

Monday 15 July 2019

Timber - enlighten, educate and inspire

I've already written an overview of Timber Festival, but there was so much going on - from music, to debates, to circus skills workshops - that one post isn't enough to cover everything. For this one I'm going to concentrate on the 'serious' side of things.

Situated on a 70 acre site at Feanedock in the National Forest, Timber has at its heart a 'mission' to celebrate trees, and educate festival-goers about matters relating to trees - the part we might be playing in their destruction, how on the other hand they can help the fight against climate change or heal land once damaged by industry and mining, how they can help us as individuals by providing a space for outdoor pursuits, and promoting relaxation and mindfulness. There were a lot of things to be learned over the weekend, and I definitely came away inspired to make changes in my life.


Over the three days there were a LOT of talks and panels connected with the subject, so I'm concentrating on those which had most affect either at the time or now that I've had time to consider things.

First up was a minor disappointment - the Extinction Rebellion talk didn't really tell me anything new. I am though the sort of person who's always had an interest in 'green' issues and I read a lot of  online articles relating to climate change so perhaps I'm not an average person in this regard (for example, I've just clicked through onto one link that claimed human civilisation would end by 2050). I'd hoped that Extinction Rebellion would have been able to point me in a direction of doing something useful - protesting in London may raise general awareness, and influence government and corporations outlook, but I was hoping for something constructive to do in my day to day life, and they didn't really seem to address this aspect. Their only positive suggestion was planting trees to clear CO2, which definitely influenced our decision to join the Woodland Trust over the weekend.



The four members of the Slow Living panel talked about the ways they personally attempted to bring the outdoors into their everyday life. There were simple suggestions such as starting the day by going outside (if it's too cold or wet at least standing at the door to experience what the world is like without the benefit of central heating), or taking daily walk which, even living in a city, will generally bring us into contact with nature - urban trees, parks, or even wildflowers which spring up along road and pavement edges.

To take the idea further, you could try foraging - I've seen elder trees (for flowers and berries) and wild roses (for their hips) growing as 'weeds' in Salford - or even living 'outside' for a period of time (two of the panel had spent months living in yurts or bell-tents, but for me a couple of days of summer camping is enough!). With reference to the mindfulness of slow living, they talked about taking the time to cook a 'proper' meal from scratch, or just brew coffee. In the past I've foraged, collecting elderflowers for wine, and crab apples and sloes for preserves, and spent more time in the garden, and through this felt more attuned to the seasons but somehow with years of tending my parents I seem to have lost that connection. I intend to try some of their ideas - start with the simple and easy, and work my way up (but not the live-in-a-tent idea). I feel as well that instead of waiting for a period of life when I feel I have time to do these things, I should do them NOW, and let everything else fit in around them.






Mentioning the word 'should' brings me to Luke Turner, and a curiously inspiring talk from someone who doesn't really seem to 'get' nature. He's tried it. Been out in the woods - Epping Forest. Didn't like it. Depending on his mood, 'nature' seemed dull or frightening, but he believed it was his fault, that somehow he wasn't doing things properly because everyone says it is what you SHOULD do to help depression, but it wasn't working. This has a proper title, The Tyranny of Should, coined by a German psychoanalyst in relation to the ideal self we might strive after, but which isn't always attainable. For Turner, it meant that in seeking to alleviate depression, he'd been forcing himself into a situation he wasn't comfortable with, and certainly not a relaxing one. We all need to find our own ways to happiness, and accept that one solution doesn't fit everyone.





I'd intended to catch one of the organised forest bathing sessions but something about an organised relaxation class seems oxymoronic. Accidentally, a short chat with a security man on one of the quieter entrances led me in a similar direction. Sitting quietly on the edge of the festival site he'd been surprised at the number of  birds, butterflies and even animals that appeared when he was alone. This inspired me to do a little on my own - taking time away from the main festival site to explore the quieter area of surrounding woodland, to listen to the birds (I could only identify wood pigeons) and a dog barking far in the distance, look closely at the trees and wild flowers instead of rushing past. It's easy to take the time, to stop and really look around, and something I'll try to achieve on future walks or maybe just while sitting in the garden.



In all, I came home with a lot of food for thought and good intentions on how I might change my life for the better. Watch this space, and see how it goes!



For more about my weekend, specifically entertainment, see here  'music and more' and 'practicalities - camping, food and toilets'





No comments:

Post a Comment