Pages

Monday 24 December 2018

Nottingham - Christmas market and curious buildings

 A clear sunny, and, for the time of year, not too cold day earlier this week proved a good time to spend a day in Nottingham.



















We started with a wander round the Christmas market and funfair held in the Market Square. As usual, there's an ice rink, helter skelter, traditional carousel and other rides, bars, and plenty of stalls selling everything from food to Christmas jumpers.






Walking past the entrance to Exchange Walk I spotted the tall decorated tree and couldn't resist checking out the rest of their Christmas lights.



























Back outside, I found my attention drawn up above the modern shops fronts to the more interesting older upper storeys.

















So often I've walked past these buildings without paying any attention to them, but I found myself wondering what their original purpose was. Were they built as houses and later converted to have ground floor shops or restaurants? I suspect so, but would love to find out their history. Maybe another visit is called for, but this time with less shopping in mind but more tourist inquisitiveness.

















No comments:

Post a Comment