Pages

Monday 1 September 2014

Scotland 2014 #6 Old Edinburgh



 Whenever I go back to Edinburgh, I'm always drawn to its Old Town. Get away from the crowds or just stand still and look upwards, and it feels walking through a film set for a gothic horror or historical romance. Last year I spent some time wandering round the Old Town and investigating the hidden closes off the Royal Mile but didn't get to see anything like all of them, so this year I went back ....













There always seems to be a new bit to discover with towering buildings leaning together over the streets and narrow closes.















I could wander round these olde-worlde streets forever - and I always find something unexpected like this 'terrace' with open-air cafes and pubs, and a marvellous view down to the Grassmarket below.






I also spent a couple of happy hours just down the Royal Mile from here at the National Trust for Scotland's 17th century townhouse property Gladstone's Land. The guides were some of the most helpful and informative that I've met, and told me all sorts of fascinating things about the house itself and the growth of Edinburgh. I only left because I felt guilty keeping them chatting after 'closing time'.












..and another 'discovery' - White Horse Close which I've seen pictured plenty of times on postcards but never seen for myself.



4 comments:

  1. I love Edinburgh and wish I could afford to live within the New Town. Lovely post and photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'd say Edinburgh's my favourite city but it's actually the ONLY city that I like at all :)

      Delete
  2. Oh lovely post. Isn't it just so so beautiful? I love wandering about there and I think I'd go every single year if I could!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I just love the narrow wynds and closes, and there always seems to be something new to discover, even after visiting for the last 5 or 6 years!

      Delete