Pages

Tuesday 24 May 2022

Calke - wisteria, tulips, and apple blossom





Having seen photos posted on social media of wisteria flowering, I decided it was time to head to Calke Abbey and check how theirs was going. As it turned out, a little slower than I expected, with the south-facing walls in flower but not the north-facing ones.


It still looked gorgeous though, like something straight out of a fairy-tale. Maybe I'll try to get back soon as it comes into full flower ... 


















We may have been a little early to catch the wisteria at its finest, but struck lucky with the various tulip displays.











I was particularly taken by this mix of vibrant orange and purple 
and by this far more delicate mix of yellow and white growing out of a carpet of pale forget-me-nots. It's a design feature I've seen at Calke before, when they had red tulips against a backdrop of blue forget-me-nots, and, more recently, at Holker Hall with white, palest pinks and deepest purple as the tulip colours above, and a bright blue beneath. It's an excellent way to keep weeds at bay, or at least hidden, and one I'd like to try (if only I could bring myself to give over a flower bed to a brief seasonal display)

Onward then into the vegetable garden (where the scarecrows are wearing new Spring outfits), and a wander through the apple trees, which were in full blossom and just as beautiful as the ornamental flowers. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment