Pages

Sunday 20 March 2022

Maldon


We left Hyde Hall with an hour or so of daylight left, and rather than waste it on the journey back to the AirBnB headed just down the road to Maldon. Again I was venturing into unknown territory. My parents had holidayed in the area about thirty years but all I really knew was, it was by the sea  - or at least on an estuary - and Thames sailing barges moored somewhere in the vicinity. 

Promenade Park sounded like a promising place to start, with a car park, refreshments (though they were closing as we arrived at four), and, obviously, a promenade.











The day was still sunny but breezy along the open prom, and hat, scarf and gloves were definitely needed as the sun dropped.






At the far end, looking out to sea, is a modern statue of  Byrhtnoth. An Ealdorman of Essex, he refused to come to a settlement with Viking invaders, and died fighting them at the battle of Maldon in 991.














Around the base of the statue scenes from the battle are depicted. Unfortunately the angle of the sun plus the age of my phone didn't let me take good photographs but I hope this one gives an idea. It's a sharp contrast to the peaceful scene today.






Turning round to look inland, masts and rigging of were visible above the town's skyline
And nearer to hand more modern-looking craft
Plus something for the children :)














On, though, to the Barge Yard where there were lots of boats to see - most of them Thames barges relying on their traditional red sails for power.


I like to look round boats although I'm not a great fan of being on the sea, but if trips had been running this day, with calm water, I might have been tempted. I've never been on a sail boat, and maybe I should try.










From the boat yard we wandered uphill into Maldon itself. For the most part it's like many a small town with modern shopfronts. Here and there though old buildings survive and I think it would have been an interesting place if we'd had more time to explore




Back down past the boats to the car, with the sun now set and the tide was now receding, Maldon now looked less like a bright seaside-y place and somewhere of creeping sea mist and dangerous marshes.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment