Pages

Saturday 10 October 2020

Autumn sunshine at Chatsworth


Clever timing, and keeping a close eye on the weather forecast, saw us out at Chatsworth on the one really sunny afternoon of this week.



I had a deliberate plan in mind this time, but first my husband wanted to see the vegetable garden. It's a much more interesting place than you might expect, full of wonderfully shaped and coloured veg - from bright yellow round courgettes to the dark reds of beetroot.


I often come here looking for inspiration for my own garden, but now, having joined an online art group, I'm finding artistic possibilities here too.




The beds here are always attractively laid out ...









... and even the glasshouses look stunning!

















This area also has a 'cutting garden' providing flowers for the house, and, although there are less flowers now as autumn approaches, this bed of rudbackias was looking stunning in the sunshine.


From here, we took the highest path back out into the main garden, heading for the focus of my visit - this wonderful array of acers. Most of the year I'd probably walk past without paying them any attention but in autumn they turn the most fabulous array of yellows and reds.



I took masses of photographs but still don't think I've captured their riotous colours.




It's luck more than judgement to catch them at the right point of turning colour but before the leaves start to drop, and I think for once I got it right.


This area is always quieter than the showier areas of the garden, and even then it's easy to walk along the main path and not take time to sit quietly, enjoy the sun and appreciate the design behind these tranquil places.



Faced with a choice of routes, we chose uphill again, walking under old trees, along a path which lead first above, then down and round, to the grotto pond. This area feels wilder and more natural than the close-cropped lawns near the house, but it's probably just as planned. I prefer this section of  deciduous woodland to the adjoining pinetum, despite the huge redwoods in the latter.  


Somehow the afternoon had slipped quickly away, so after a pause by the grotto pond, it was time to head downhill and back towards the Emperor fountain. 




Just after I took this photograph, the gardeners arrived to close the sluice and stop the fountain for the day. It's always a reminder that it's time to think about leaving, and we left the garden just as the stable clock chimed 5 for closing time.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment