Pages

Saturday 8 August 2020

Guess where?



Yes, I'm back at Kedleston again, with its wonderful wildflower display.














This National Trust property on the opposite side of Derby has become one of my most visited places during this semi-lockdown period. I regularly see news/police reports about the high numbers of visitors at Derbyshire beauty spots, and they put me off attempting to visit. I don't want to go out and then be surrounded by crowds. I've seen photos from friends of remote moorland places looking empty, but, with the laziness of lockdown, I've become unfit and I don't feel like going for a hike, just a nice gentle walk. 










Kedleston works well for me at the moment. It's not far to travel, visitor numbers are restricted by advance sales, and it has a choice of various length walks - you could amble round the gardens and pass the afternoon in a deckchair, stroll by the lakes, or join the Wilderness and Long Walk together to make about six miles (maybe that's something to aim for by the end of summer). 


Anyway this visit was more of a social affair than an outing with strictly exercise in mind - meeting up with my elder daughter, pottering round the wildflowers, then a more purposeful stroll along the Short Walk.














The wildflower beds continue to impress me. Last year I saw them once; this year I'm visiting every couple of weeks, and seeing them change throughout summer is delightful. I'd rather had the impression that wildflower seed mixes flowered in one burst in June/July, then died back. These definitely haven't; on each visit there's been something new in flower.



We arrived in a short shower of rain but, with the weather improving, we headed up the path of the short walk, stopping at the seats which give a fine view over the wider estate and the Derbyshire countryside. The sun came out, with a pleasant breeze to keep things cool.



Then onward and upward (though not greatly) to the high point of the circuit, where we turned and came straight back down the hill to the hall.

I always seem to run out of time to do everything I wanted, so I'll be back again before long.







No comments:

Post a Comment