Pages

Thursday 23 January 2020

Winter cheer

After the bustle and excitement of Christmas, January is always a bit 'flat'. Normally I head off to the sales on the search for treats, but this year I've resisted. Instead I'm cheering the month up with indoor flowers.
















I have several cyclamen plants acquired over the years, and they're all in flower right now in various shades of pink, so I've massed them together for greatest impact, and turned my living room windowsill into an indoor garden.







Elsewhere, I've filled vases with greenery and winter jasmine from the garden, and added some (really cheap) supermarket daffodils for extra yellow brightness.














As they started to fade, I went out with the intention of buying more - but came across a pot of mini tete-a-tete daffs. Still only a couple of pounds, they'll flower this year, hopefully next, and maybe longer. The day after, I found last year's bulbs out in the garden, still in their pot and staring to grow - they're now 'warming up' in the cool porch, and will be ready to come inside when this year's plants have finished flowering. Hopefully one way or another I can keep up a constant display of seasonal, but early, flowers until spring arrives properly.





Meanwhile, the sun has been shining, so I've been out and about - to Shipley and Calke - and found snowdrops in flower. Maybe winter won't be around for much longer ...

















No comments:

Post a Comment