Pages

Sunday 5 January 2020

2019 - but only the good bits

There was far too much heartbreak and loss in my life last year, and a lot of months passed in a haze of grief, but there were good times too, so for the purpose of this blog post I'm just going to ignore the bad bits.



The highlight of my year has to be our short break in Argyll. we were only there for a couple of days but went walking through forests and along Crinan Canal, and, best bit of the whole year, my daughter persuaded me to go swimming one evening in Loch Fyne.



Wells Next The Sea




Whitesands Bay, St Davids








We cautiously started taking holidays again, with short breaks to Norfolk, Manchester, Appleby-in-Westmorland, Edinburgh and St Davids, and most of the time had beautiful weather.


In Appleby I saw red squirrels racing along branches, seals at Abereiddi, dolphins playing out at sea off New Quay, deer up close at Dunham Massey, a nuthatch (first time I've definitely seen one) and a watchful owl at Acorn Bank, and red kites flying above Bwlch Nant yr Arian.












Nearer to home, in addition to my normal rounds of visiting Chatsworth and local National Trust properties, I eventually went to places I've been intending to go for years - Wirksworth Hidden Gardens, Hopton Hall rose garden, and Melbourne Art Festival.















Throughout the year I went out to local gigs - less than normal, but I'm getting back into the habit -  seeing Sean McGowan twice, Skinny Lister, From The Jam, Skerryvore, Deaf Havana, and other smaller bands.








And, not least (in fact a close contender for top spot), enjoyed a wonderful, relaxing, inspiring weekend at Timber Festival courtesy of organisers Wild Rumpus.













No comments:

Post a Comment