Pages

Tuesday 3 March 2015

Solace of the Road - Derby Theatre

Holly is 14, just about to turn 15, and after an argument with her foster-parents she's setting out on the road to Ireland to find her mum. All she's taking with her is her special 'lizard' bag, a glamorous blond wig which turns school-girl Holly into older, more confident Solace and a lot of hopes and dreams.....

On Saturday I had tickets for the preview of Derby Theatre's latest production - an adaptation by Mike Kenny of Siobhan Dowd's novel Solace of the Road. Despite being based on a book for teen readers and although the central character, Solace, is fourteen turning fifteen, don't be fooled into thinking this is only going to appeal to youngsters. It's a vibrant, funny and moving piece of theatre, and I was so immersed in it that by the time it ended I'd forgotten what time of day it was!

It's packed with great performances from all the cast. Having seen Rebecca Ryan previously at Derby Theatre in A Taste Of Honey, I'd expected good things, but she was outstanding as Solace - a believable 15 year old, full of anger, pain and youthful optimism - and the rest of the cast, each playing three maybe four characters, was equally brilliant.

Derby Theatre seems to get better every time I visit and I've probably said it before but I love having great theatre like this on my doorstep!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great play. I hope I get the chance to see it someday. I have heard of it, not quite sure how.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd heard of the book (but not read it) before seeing the play. I suspect the stage version appeals more to all age groups, not just teens.

      Delete