Pages

Wednesday 28 February 2024

Shipley Snowdrops



My last snowdrop trip of the season was the nearest to home and one of my favourite spring walking spots - Shipley Country Park, near Ilkeston, Derbyshire.






I'd been putting this visit off for a while as last time I visited, in September, the uphill walk from the carpark to the old hall's grounds had proved too much for my not-quite-recovered legs.  This time, thankfully, all went well.



So I slowly headed up the hill, through the beeches on Horsepool Hill, where the first daffodils were flowering, and followed the ha-ha around the old hall grounds.


There are snowdrops in clumps scattered throughout this area but the best in my opinion are along the old driveway, presumably planted to impress visitors. It's always tricky trying to guess the best time to catch snowdrops at their best, and I think this year I was a little late.


Having proved to myself that I can now manage this short walk quite easily I'll be back before long as the daffodils come into full flower.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment