Pages

Saturday 13 January 2024

2023 - a nothing-happening sort of year

 I can hardy believe we're at the start of another year - and halfway through January - already. 2023 seems to have slipped quickly by almost unnoticed. 

I feel like I spent a lot of the year waiting - for my ankles to recover, for the post-covid lethargy to lift, for the heatwave to pass or the rain to stop. The first months weren't good but I expected things to improve. They didn't. I seem to have slipped into a lethargic mood that nothing could shift. 

Getting back to something approximating normal after the pandemic, I'd planned to take more (many more) short breaks, perhaps even a proper holiday, but ended up taking just three - 


a Canopy and Stars stay in a cabin by the river Nene; a couple of days of almost complete relaxation









a weekend in North Wales via Manchester and back through Shropshire; saw the laburnum arch at Bodnant in full flower (which was one of my bucket list items) - and it's as wonderful as they say - and also the roses winding around the pergolas of the terraces - beautiful and unexpected, and like something out of a fairy tale.









back to North Norfolk; a mixture of old favourites and new discoveries








In between there was the normal round of visits to local gardens to see snowdrops, wisteria, hydrangeas, and some special things such as taking part in one of my daughter's sip and paint events   - a most enjoyable evening of painting, music, eating, and, yes, sipping. I came away with my own interpretation of  'You're the One That I Want' and think I now understand synaesthesia a little better.





A seemingly small thing which might turn out to have had a big impact was taking part in Secondhand September, and making my first purchase from Vinted, a clothes reselling site. I started small with a single top, but have since bought skirts and shoes from there. It's definitely influenced how I shop, and where I look for clothes.


At the end of the year it suddenly became busy - getting ready for Christmas, going out to see local Christmas events, while decorating the living room and hallway (which I'd been talking about all year). Overall it feels like a year that's been sleep-walked through but after all that last minute rush I'm starting 2024 quietly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment