Pages

Tuesday 17 October 2023

Felbrigg Walled Garden


I'd visited Felbrigg Hall several times before I discovered the walled garden, but now I have it's a place I go back to whenever I'm in the area.

It was September when we visited and, after a wet and windy week, warm. Even so I was surprised at the array of flowers to be still found in bloom.










The walled area is split into various sections, the first of dry weather, low water plants, the second a more 'Mediterranean' vibe, and lastly a bounteous cottage-style garden filled with a mixture of fruit and veg (and, yes, that is my favourite).




Apples fruit along the walls, grapes clamber up frames, and figs grow in pots.







Pumpkins of every shape and size are ripe for Halloween.






On our last visit, the doves and chickens were locked away in coops because of bird flu, and it was lovely to see them back in the garden this time. The doves just flying around. The chickens on important pest control duties.


Throughout there's an emphasis on growing by natural methods - encouraging pollinators and pest-control insects, using companion planting, avoiding watering whenever possible - and the garden looks wonderful. 


There's a lily pond to encourage frogs and/or toads, which makes a beautiful spot to still beside and relax.


Lean-to greenhouses to protect the most tender of plants.











I'd intended to explore the wider parkland (something I've never done) but it was getting close to closing time and my legs were complaining, so a cream tea seemed a better way to round off the visit.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment