Pages

Saturday 28 October 2023

Autumn nuts and berries at Kedleston


Early October saw some lovely weather, and of course I wanted to be out and about making the most of it.

After my disappointing trip to Shipley I wanted to attempt a more gentle uphill stroll, so headed to Kedleston and the start of the Short Walk. 



I didn't want to try the full walk as the downhill section across the inner park is quite steep and my ankles like coming downhill more than they like going up. I set my sights instead on reaching this viewpoint which looks over the surrounding countryside, taking a rest there, then returning the same way. It was considerably easier than the hill at Shipley, and I felt I could have carried on for further but decided it was better to not try too hard. 


This is always an interesting short walk with generally something new to be seen - from flowers in spring to nuts and berries in autumn. The trees were still green but conkers and beechmast were falling, and I picked a few up to admire (but left them for the squirrels).







The smaller shrubs seem very full of berries this year - hawthorns, rosehips, holly, and pyracantha - which supposedly forecasts a harsh winter.






Now the weather has changed and dropped colder I'll have to return and see the trees in their autumn finery.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment