Pages

Friday 23 August 2024

Hopton Rose Garden


July is the second time in the year that the gardens at Hopton Hall open to the public; the first is in February for snowdrops, this occasion for the magnificent roses.



Set on a south-facing slope, the garden acts as a suntrap which along with its Italianate styling gives the impression of being somewhere warmer than the Peak District. 






Not all the roses are in full bloom at once, so mid-month is the best way to catch most of them, though a second visit would be worthwhile.






I wouldn't say I'm come late to loving roses but a garden like this makes me realise how much was missing from my parents' garden of formal beds of roses underplanted with lobelia and alysum.







I don't have space to add this many roses to my garden but I'd love to.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment