Pages

Thursday 6 October 2022

Autumn at Calke

 Visiting Biddulph the other weekend reminded me of the gorgeous display of dahlias that can also be found at Calke Abbey - so off we went to see them.


It's taken me a long while to learn to appreciate dahlias, but now I'm delighted by their many colours and shapes. Unfortunately I can't seem to grow them, due to damage from slugs and snails, so I have to admire those grown elsewhere.
















There are other signs of autumn being well on its way -  a wonderful display of pumpkins and gourds grown in the kitchen garden, and now displayed in the auricula theatre,  the vegetable beds now dominated by winter brassicas - cabbage, kale and brussels sprouts















 and fruit hanging heavy on the orchard trees - not just apples and pears, but unusual types such as quinces and medlars too

 












No comments:

Post a Comment