Pages

Friday 3 July 2020

30 Days Wild - week 4 (and a bit)


I'm late getting round to writing up this last week of #30DaysWild because it's been a busy out and about week, though most of my wild adventures still took place in the back garden. There are new flowers opening to attract bees and other insects - lavender alongside the path, calendulas, and the first flowers on a root of fox and cubs which I moved from my parents' garden.






















There've been wild visitors of all sizes from magpies at the bird bath to a shield beetle who thought I looked like a good place to rest. One warm evening I spotted bats flying about the garden- which was exciting but a bit worrying as I thought they might fly in through the open patio doors (this happened to me once in a holiday cottage, and it's terrifying for both the bat and the person trying to persuade it back outside). A safer sighting was of a swallow (I think) high above the roof top.


On my trips out I saw glorious wildflowers among more formal bedding at Kedleston, Chatsworth and  Calke Abbey















But this was favourite thing of the week - a coot making it's nest in the middle of an ornamental pond at Chatsworth.

No comments:

Post a Comment